Ophthalmology-Related Coding Changes for 2019
The American Academy of Ophthalmology’s medical director for government affairs provided a 2019 Medicare update during the AAO’s 2018 annual meeting in Chicago. He reviewed deleted, new, and updated codes relevant to eye care clinicians.
92275 Electroretinopathy (ERG): Deleted so that appropriate coding and tracking of the different types of ERG testing are now possible. In its place are:
- 92273: ERG with interpretation and report; full field (examples include ffERG, flash ERC. Ganzfeld ERG)
- 92274: ERG with interpretation and report; multifocal (mfERG)
New Category III Codes
New codes include:
- 059T: ERG with interpretation and report, pattern (PERG); created for appropriate coding and tracking of this new technology.
- 056T: Macular pigment optical density measurement by heterochromatic flicker photometry, unilateral or bilateral with interpretation and report.
- 057T: Near infrared dual imaging of meibomian glands, unilateral or bilateral, with interpretation and report.
- 0514T: Intraoperative visual axis identification using patient fixation; list separately in addition to code for primary procedure.
Revalued CPT Codes
Removal of foreign body
65205: Removal of foreign body, external eye; conjunctival superficial:
- Proposed work relative value unit (wRVU): 0.49
- Approved: 0.49
- Current: 0.71
65210: Removal; of foreign body, external eye; conjunctival embedded, subconjunctival, or scleral non-perforating:
- Proposed wRVU: 0.61
- Approved: 0.75
- Current: 0.84
67500: Retrobulbar injection:
- Proposed wRVU: 1.18
- Approved: 1.18
- Current: 1.44
67505: Retrobulbar injection with alcohol:
- Proposed wRVU: 0.94
- Approved: 1.18
- Current: 1.27
67515: Injection into Tenon’s capsule:
- Proposed wRVU: 0.75
- Approved: 0.84
- Current: 1.40
76514: Ophthalmic ultrasound, diagnostic; corneal pachymetry, unilateral or bilateral (determination of corneal thickness):
- Proposed wRVU: 0.14
- Approved: 0.17
- Current: 0.17
Repka M. 2019 Medicare update. Talk presented at: AAO 2018 annual meeting; October, 26-30, 2018; Chicago.