Untangling Retinal Coding Issues
Two experts addressed important retinal coding considerations during the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery’s 2018 annual meeting in Washington, DC. David M. Brown, MD, a partner in Retina Consultants of Houston and Kirk A. Mack, COMT, COE, CPC, CPMA senior consultant with the Corcoran Consulting Group in San Bernardino, CA, made these points:
- Membrane peels: Check for both what was done and why.
- Review complex retinal detachment criteria.
- Understand how lens fragments were removed.
- Watch the IOL details for removal, exchange, and reposition (suture is incidental).
- Modifier 25 is used for some office visits with injections.
- Do not code extended ophthalmoscopy at every visit.
Brown D, Mack K. Untangling retinal controversies. Talk presented at: 2018 ASCRS-ASOA Annual Meeting; April 13-17, 2018; Washington, DC.