Here’s What Ophthalmologist-MBAs Are Up To
Most ophthalmologists with MBAs appear to maintain clinical responsibilities, though a number hold nonclinical positions, according to a cross-sectional study involving 120 ophthalmologists who hold such degrees.
Investigators collected demographic, training, and professional activity data from each ophthalmologist’s online profiles. Among the results:
- Nearly 3 in every 10 serve in primarily nonclinical roles.
- >Half participate in significant nonclinical activity.
- 3 in every 10 are in hospital administration.
- 7% serve in pharmaceutical administration.
- 5% are consultants.
- Older clinicians are more likely to participate in significant nonclinical activity.
- 43% are employed by academic medical centers.
- 30% work for large group practices, and 13% are in private practice.
Pathpati A, Tsai J. Leadership in ophthalmology: The role of physician-MBAs. Am J Ophthalmol. 2018;188:70-73. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2018.01.023
Grandin Library Building
Six Leigh Street
Clinton, New Jersey 08809